Dark Spots

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Terry Bain

Dark Spots

Postby Terry Bain » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:21 am

What is the best way to eliminate the dark spots on the threads after applying the 1st coat of epoxy? I apparently didn't get enough CP on the threads before the epoxy. Is it possible to re-wrap the guide over the coat of epoxy, then re-apply the CP? Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

glenn riches

Re: Dark Spots

Postby glenn riches » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:36 pm

Cut off and rewrap

Terry Bain

Postby Terry Bain » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:51 pm

Thanks Glenn. That's what I figured, but thought there may be a better (easier) way. I appreciate your time and input.

glenn riches

Postby glenn riches » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:07 pm

You are welcome, I'm not a fan of using CP on guide wraps though. It's most probably just me. Search around some of the other forums may help.

Terry Bain

Postby Terry Bain » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:28 am

I took your advice and stripped the diamond wrap last night. It wasn't too difficult as it only had one coat of epoxy. Now time to start over. Just is life.
Thanks again.

John Shear

Postby John Shear » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 am

I had that issue when I used Flex Coat CP and wasn't careful to get enough under the edges. I changed to Chromaseal which is thinner and really soaks in nicely. I also don't have to worry about brushing off excess. Two coats is sufficient.
I still use Flex Coat over decals and Madiera thread since it seems to have better adhesive properties on those slick surfaces.
John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

glenn riches

Postby glenn riches » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 pm

Terry I cut em off all the time. Sometimes I'll wrap the same rod several times. I need the practice.

Terry Bain

Postby Terry Bain » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:49 am

I have been using U-40 CP for a long time and this is the 1st time for the dreaded "dark spots". I'm following John and ordered the Chromaseal and will try that. Me experience with NCP is very limited. It seems the NCP is not quite as "brilliant" in color. As the saying goes, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder".
Thanks guys for the input.

John Shear

Postby John Shear » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Yep, NCP has a flat, painted look so I don't like it for large areas. I do like it for thin white or yellow trim bands since it stays bright on a dark blank and hides any dark thread running underneath.
John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Terry Bain

Postby Terry Bain » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Well, I found out what caused the dreaded "dark spots". After stripping and re-threading the wraps, I put on 2 coats of the CP (U-40). After 24 hrs of drying I applied the 1st coat of epoxy. I went back to check for bubbles and used a Bic lighter to get rid of them. After reaching the last guide, I went back to check and the spots were back. Before the epoxy dried, I immediately re-applied another coat of the epoxy and they disappeared. Apparently the flame interacted with the acetone that I had used to dilute the first coat of epoxy. Anyway, the problem was solved. This time I will use my heat gun to "pop" the bubbles. Lesson learned.
Thanks again guys for responding.

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”