cane rod ferrule replacement

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

David Parker

cane rod ferrule replacement

Postby David Parker » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello from Canada!
I have a fellow who is inquiring about a replacement to a damaged ferrule on his Phillipson fly rod.
I have done such work on graphite rods and am thinking the heat process is the same basic idea for removal of the ferrules on the cane rod.
The pic he sent me shows a big chunk broken from the female ferrule.
Can someone please steer me in the right direction if my method is wrong.
I certainly do not want to damage the rod blank, so is there any advice from an experienced person here?
Any comments and/or advice would be greatly appreciated before I commit to such a repair.

David Parker
Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Coldwater Ontario, Canada
www.fliesrodreelservice.com

Donald La Mar

Re: cane rod ferrule replacement

Postby Donald La Mar » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:32 pm

David

If you've not already removed the ferrule, it's a heat and quickly cool process, repeated multiple times, to loosen the adhesive without damaging the bamboo. When I've done it I heated the ferrule as hot as I dared with an alcohol lamp then plunged it into ice water. After 10 or so heating and cooling cycles the ferrule adhesive will loosened enough to pull it off. You have to be careful not to over heat or burn the bamboo, and not to twist the cane trying to pull the ferrule off.

kerry hansen

Postby kerry hansen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Back in 2002 I shared my method, on another site, of removing the tiptop guide from a rod without delaminating the blank, HERE IT IS: chuck up the tip section in your rod lathe so it will not move axially. Attach a wire like a large paperclip to the tiptop. Attach to that wire a long heavy rubber band (I have a bunch of newspaper bundle rubber bands that I use for this as well as other rod building uses), the wire is there to isolate the rubber band from the heat. Now stretch the rubber band under heavy tension "AXIALLY" and fix the other end of the rubber band to something solid. Next heat the tiptop at the guide ring end of it. Now what happens is the heat will start to migrate down the tiptop tube in the direction of the Butt. Just as soon as it heats the adhesive enough, the rubber band will pull the tiptop guide off before the heat damages the blank. The keys are, "stretch the rubber band under very heavy tension" and "only heat the tiptop at the guide ring end". My .02

Becky Loyd

Postby Becky Loyd » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:59 am

Thanks for sharing. This sounds like one of those good ideas that I need to remember.

David Parker

Postby David Parker » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:56 am

Thanks to all who replied to my question.
I have restored a few Cane rods in past years, but never had to replace a ferrule on one.
Most of my work is with glass and graphite rods, to which I have replaced and also added ferrules to damaged rods from time to time. My method has been by using a heat gun with care, to apply just enough heat to loosen the adhesive so I could pull the damaged part free of the blank w/o damaging anything. I have added a customized curved stn stl attachment to my heat gun which allows heat to blow around the blank in a circular motion. Spinning the rod blank by hand while using the lowest heat setting on the heat gun provides just enough heat to loosen the adhesives and to date, things have always worked out well.
Although I have not accepted the repair job as yet, I wanted to insure that my method was correct for cane as well.
Thanks for the tip of not applying too much heat to burn the cane. The owner of the rod is a past satisfied customer who purchased the used fly rod with the intensions of having it fully restored. I was willing to take on the project, but wanted to be sure that my removal methods were not going to damage the cane in any way.
David Parker
Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Coldwater Ontario, Canada
www.fliesrodreelservice.com

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”