Colored tip tops

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Dale Peterson

Colored tip tops

Postby Dale Peterson » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:21 pm

I use the powdered adhesive to apply my tip tops. When I use colored tip tops the paint burns off the tip when I use a lighter to melt the adhesive, any suggestions.

kerry hansen

Re: Colored tip tops

Postby kerry hansen » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Try 5 min epoxy. Of course if you have to remove you will need to use heat.

Chris Ward

Postby Chris Ward » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:36 am

I know Gudebrod have gone for a few years now. I still have and use Gudebrod Ferrule Cement. It is short sticks of a form of 'hot melt' glue used in glue guns. I believe it has a higher melt point to normal hot melt sticks. Easy to use and less heat for removal. Must be some lurking out there in a store somewhere?
Chris

Dale Peterson

Postby Dale Peterson » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:46 am

Maybe the hot melt that comes in sticks will melt at a lower temp. and not melt the paint on the tip top. will give it a try.

Chris Ward

Postby Chris Ward » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:31 pm

Dale,
Do some testing if you are looking to use 'regular' hot metal glue. Which area of the World /USA are your rods being used? if they are being used in the tropics, repeatedly used under very hot tropical sun 'regular' hot melt may soften allowing tip top to 'twist' leading to rod owner loosing that special fish.
As I said Gudebrod Ferrule Cement has not failed me to date even on rods being used in the tropics. Alternatively do some research around the melting point of those hot melts available to you.
Chris

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”