Old Cane Rod value

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

David Parker

Old Cane Rod value

Postby David Parker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:39 pm

Good afternoon all from Canada!
Haven't been on the forum for some time due to workload and other priorities, but I am in need of advice from some of the experts here.
Not being too knowledgeable regarding cane rods, I have recently had 2 customers request info on the value of some old rods they have acquired thru family estates. These fellows are both looking for a source, web site, any information, etc., regarding appraisal or the value of the rods in their possession.
I was only able to tell them that I would try to find a source to help them in their search as I am not involved with cane rods, but I did mention the importance of there being some sort of label, inscription, etc on those rods so a value could be determined.
If anyone could pass along a source, site, etc., to help me answer their questions, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanking you in advance.......... 8-)

David Parker
Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

Coldwater Ontario, Canada
www.fliesrodreelservice.com

Chris Ward

Re: Old Cane Rod value

Postby Chris Ward » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:15 am

David,
One source may be in the local library, 'Fishing Tackle - A Collectors Guide' by Graham Turner. ISBN 0706368398. There are several editions out there each edition an update of the previous. The book covers makers of rods & reels worldwide and is a good reference point for starting out. If any of the rods have the name Hardy on them this is a UK company dating from the late 1890's, there should be a serial number on the rod - from a reference chart it is possible to identify year of manufacture. Alternatively google antigue fishing tackle/rods that should bring up a number of worldwide 'dealers/collectors'. A name and serial number on the rod is a bonus.

Chris Ward (UK)

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”