Water slide decals

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Alex Price

Water slide decals

Postby Alex Price » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:58 am

Hi all I am trying to get some water slide decals sorted out but it is proving to be difficult as almost nobody in the UK knows what they are.
I have found someone but he has just got the printer and is not able to achieve what I want.
Can anyone suggest someone who can help and is willing to post to the UK pleas.

Becky Loyd

Re: Water slide decals

Postby Becky Loyd » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:48 pm

Decal Connections here in the US makes and sells decals that are reasonably priced and I bet they would ship. Check with them.

William Burkett

Postby William Burkett » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:51 am

I think Decal Connection's are peel and stick, not water slide. I've been getting my water slide supplies from C&M Tackle (Acid Rod). They have "kits" for inkjet and lazerjet printers.

Chris Ward

Postby Chris Ward » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:12 am

Alex,
Alps printers are some 40 years old and like gold dust on the web if you can find a working one. Are you looking for name/rod detail decals? or one for images & logo's? I can supply you with white/gold/silver name/rod detail stick on labels which are friendly for most finishes. Contact me via my website www.rodcraftsman.com
Chris

Vern Metcalf Jr

Postby Vern Metcalf Jr » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:39 pm

I make all my own waterslide decals. I dont have the super expensive printers that print the sivler/gold or even white, however, it does just fine as long as you plan for a decent background color. I have printed white by simply using a solid black back backround and the lettering turns out white. Workd greaat for reel seats and forergirps. They work great for just your everyday standard decal. If I want something special, I just call the Decal Connection and have them set me up. Just my two cents.
"Practice does not make perfect.......Perfect Practice makes Perfect" (Vince Lombardi)

Jim Trelikes

Postby Jim Trelikes » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:14 pm

I buy my inkjet friendly sheets of waterslide material on Amazon.com. Then I print my own with my Canon photo printer set to its highest resolution and get some really fine results. Prep your surface on the rod with NCP white or metallic silver. I prefer to finish the thread with a thin coat in advance so I have a nice clean, slick surface to apply them on. I've seen some people out there apply them to the bare metallic silver with decent results.........but I prefer to do it over a finished surface. In case you're not already aware..........you need to seal your waterslide decals with clear spray acrylic.

Alex Price

Postby Alex Price » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks everyone for your help apologies on the delayed response. I got what I wanted from Decal connections but I would like to be able to do my own images at some point.

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”