Birch bark handles

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Dale Peterson

Birch bark handles

Postby Dale Peterson » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:16 pm

Been trying to make a birch bark handle without much success. I cut 2" dia. rings from the birch bark and glue together with Titebond III. The joints keep failing. Do I have to sand the surfaces first to get rid of the white outer layer? Seems like the inner layers are also separating.

Armando Caceres
Site Admin

Re: Birch bark handles

Postby Armando Caceres » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:06 pm

Without pictures it's hard to know how you are assembling your grips. I've made several out of birch bark where I drilled out the individual rings then prepped each ring by peeling off the outer bark layer before gluing them together. I alternate the grain pattern on each ring as I glue them up to increase the overall strength, but being birch bark, it had a natural tendency to want to pull apart. Just be patient with them and take your time when putting them together/reaming them out and you should be good to go.

Here are a few pictures of a rod I built earlier this year with some birch bark. I hope that this info helps. Cheers! http://2coolfishing.com/ttmbforum/showthread.php?t=1810921

Armando Caceres
Site Admin

Postby Armando Caceres » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:36 am

I figured i'd add the picture here instead. Here's a birch bark grip that I made for this rod.

1.gif
1.gif (207.47 KiB) Viewed 475 times

Armando

Armando Caceres
Site Admin

Postby Armando Caceres » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:38 am

And another...

2.gif
2.gif (139.72 KiB) Viewed 475 times

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”