Marbling

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Dale Peterson

Marbling

Postby Dale Peterson » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:01 am

I really like the marbling design on p.36 of the current issue of Rod Crafters Journal by Bill Havens. How do you get this effect?? Does the epoxy have to be thick by letting it dry a little? Do you just drag a pic in one direction and then the other?? How is the colored epoxy applied to start with, large drops, lines around the rod???

William Burkett

Re: Marbling

Postby William Burkett » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:45 am

I haven't yet seen the RCJ, so I can't tell you what Bill did, but if you contact him at Saltydawg custom rods I'd bet he'd tell you.

Robert Hummel

Postby Robert Hummel » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:24 am

You may also want to do a search on line. There are several good videos on marbling. I found that I had to practice quite a bit to get the results I wanted. I bought some wooden dowels to practice on. Even after quite a bit of practice it's hard for me to duplicate a pattern I like.

Vern Metcalf Jr

Postby Vern Metcalf Jr » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:54 pm

I would check out some video's. The marbling technology has changed so much in the past years (for the better I might add) that it is no longer just moving colored epoxy around with a toothpick like it was when I first started doing it. Check with Dan _The Bassman_ and I am sure he will pooint you in the right direction.
"Practice does not make perfect.......Perfect Practice makes Perfect" (Vince Lombardi)

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”