Cork handles

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Dale Peterson

Cork handles

Postby Dale Peterson » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:37 am

I build Musky rods and it is a real chore to ream out 14" handles that only have a .25" ID hole to start with and I have to make them fit a .75" butt. Any suggestions?? You can not drill out a 14" handle and reaming always seems to leave a narrow section in the center of the handle. :|

Chester Kiekhafer

Re: Cork handles

Postby Chester Kiekhafer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:09 pm

One think that you could do is cut the grip in half. You then ream each section to fit the blank. When you have them done and fit the way you like it then glue them onto the blank.
Chester

May your lines be tight and your beverages be cold!

Grant Darby

Postby Grant Darby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:10 pm

Batson Dream Reamers.

Grant Darby

Postby Grant Darby » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:11 pm

That was too short. Wrap the cork with a paper towel, spiral tape around the towel, wrap tightly, use the Dream Reamer with power and go slowly.

Chester Kiekhafer

Postby Chester Kiekhafer » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:30 pm

Here is a link to see what Flexcoat recommends for reaming.

http://www.flexcoat.com/learning-center ... wer-reamer
Chester

May your lines be tight and your beverages be cold!

Buddy Tison

Postby Buddy Tison » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Make one of these with drill press from a scrap. The extra hole is to get the cork out of the jig. You can drill the rings bigger, just under reamed size. Drill then glue up. You will need a mandrel to fit the hole size. The countersunk hole is 1.25 or 1.5 inches. As long as you do not remove scrap from drill press table it will be centered. Used a forstner bit

John Shear

Postby John Shear » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:02 pm

As Buddy said, drill a larger hole in your cork rings so there's less to ream. I measure the diameter of the blank at the front of the grip and subtract 1/16" (round down to nearest 1/16th). That's what drill size I use. Try different bits, but I like a brad point bit run in reverse to minimize tearout. I don't have a drill press, so I made a primitive wood jig to hold the cork and a guide hole to keep the bit where I want it as I use a cordless drill.
John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Dale Peterson

Postby Dale Peterson » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:34 pm

I like the idea on cutting long handles into smaller sizes to ream out easier. I also have the scrap wood drilled with a 1.25" and another hole that is 1.5" to hold the single cork to drill out to .75" and then glue them together to form the long handle. Then ream out to get rid of any of the glue on the inside.

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”