Wrapping

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Joe Vitola

Wrapping

Postby Joe Vitola » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:32 am

Has anyone tried wrapping over the thread check?

William Burkett

Re: Wrapping

Postby William Burkett » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:45 am

If you are referring to the one in front of the grip, then yes. I do that often. Check out the photo gallery for examples.

John Shear

Postby John Shear » Wed Mar 16, 2016 11:26 am

In the photo section, I don't see the ability to see all photos for a specific person. A search using your last name returns nothing.
John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

William Burkett

Postby William Burkett » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:15 am

I can't help you with your search, but I've posted more photos lately than about anybody so I'd suggest you just surf the categories. BTW they're called hozzels.

Joe Vitola

Postby Joe Vitola » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:02 pm

[quote="William Burkett"]I can't help you with your search, but I've posted more photos lately than about anybody so I'd suggest you just surf the categories. BTW they're called hozzels.[/quote]

Wrong guy I was the one who said thread check, I was told by everyone that they are called thread checks. Let's not get into a pissing contest. Thank you for your reply that answered my question.

Joe

William Burkett

Postby William Burkett » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:58 am

Joe, there was no pissing contest involved and I knew it was a different person. A check is a smaller item that would not be a candidate for wrapping, so I was pretty sure that hozzel was what you meant. I also use paste epoxy over the hozzel to form what is termed a ramp in some builds.

Kenneth Price

Postby Kenneth Price » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:42 am

William is correct, Hossle is the name of the larger/bigger form of the check in front of the fore grip which can be covered with thread and or epoxy to form the ramp he is referring too which is on most Salt-Water gear.

Hello Bill....
Kenneth Price

kerry hansen

Postby kerry hansen » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:05 pm

OR in lieu of a Hozzle or winding check make a tapered ramp using ROD BOND which can be colored and left as is or used as a base to wrap thread up.

Becky Loyd

Postby Becky Loyd » Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:35 pm

I have used Rod Bond as well as a 30 minute epoxy. You can form it with your fingers so that it is perfectly smooth and is minus any lumps if you just dip your fingers in a little isopropyl alcohol. Then it doesn't stick to you and your design comes out nice and clean. If you are going to wrap thread over it, lightly file it like you would a guide foot and wind your threads from the low end up the ramp. Good luck!

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”