Alps Power Wrapper

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Joe Vitola

Alps Power Wrapper

Postby Joe Vitola » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:24 am

I recently purchased an Alps power wrapper and the upright supports seem be backwards in order, the two supports will not hold the blank in position with the upper wheel that is supposed to hold the rod in the support is to short. It's hard for me to explain however they don't fit the taper of the rod toward the tip. If any one has a Alps machine then he can help me.

Joe Vitola

Re: Alps Power Wrapper

Postby Joe Vitola » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:30 pm

I solved the problem with a call to Alps and Jeff set me straight. I was not finding the center of the blank when I was setting the rod up in the stands. Thank you Jeff from Alps

John Shear

Postby John Shear » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:16 pm

I made a handy jig that shows the distance from the top of the metal bed to the center of the chuck. I use the jig to adjust each support so the blank is centered on that same measurement point.
John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Joe Vitola

Postby Joe Vitola » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:56 pm

I'm already started shaping cork grips and laying out the rod. I cant believe the difference in this machine and the old antiquated way I used to wrap and shape the old slow way. My hands cant take hand wrapping anymore there to arthritic. What a pleasure the new Alps is.

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”