Plans for diy weaving loom

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

paul vonderwall

Plans for diy weaving loom

Postby paul vonderwall » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:14 pm

Hi guys just wandering if any one made there
Own weaving jig I don't want to buy one if
I don't weave if I make my own and I like
Weaving I will buy a jig so if you can help
Would be good

Becky Loyd

Re: Plans for diy weaving loom

Postby Becky Loyd » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:02 pm

I haven't tried this myself, but I understand that some people have used 2 flea combs (like for combing through your pets hair) taped to both ends of your blank, and some just use masking tape that they lay the threads across on both sides of the blank. I recently saw George Partridge use the tape method to work a beautiful mayfly and his name on a fly rod that he had made. It turned out very well, especially if you are not doing really big designs. Good luck on it. Post it when you get it done. I'd love to see it.

paul vonderwall

Postby paul vonderwall » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks

John Shear

Postby John Shear » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:08 pm

Doc Ski's DVD is great for learning how to get started and I'm pretty sure he talks about how to make one like his.
John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

kerry hansen

Postby kerry hansen » Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:17 pm

I made mine from two articles published in RodCrafters journal long ago, but it is different than almost all other looms since it is a hanging weight loom. It from two articles written by a weaver named Art Durham who has since passed away.

Vern Metcalf Jr

Postby Vern Metcalf Jr » Tue May 17, 2016 11:00 pm

This is a really late response, however, Doc said in a recent post on FB that he is going to stop making his looms by the end of this summer but before thien he will be publishing how to make the ones that he presently sells. So best thing you can do is keep an eye on the FB page for that announcement.
"Practice does not make perfect.......Perfect Practice makes Perfect" (Vince Lombardi)

paul vonderwall

Postby paul vonderwall » Mon May 23, 2016 8:11 pm

[quote="Becky Loyd"]I haven't tried this myself, but I understand that some people have used 2 flea combs (like for combing through your pets hair) taped to both ends of your blank, and some just use masking tape that they lay the threads across on both sides of the blank. I recently saw George Partridge use the tape method to work a beautiful mayfly and his name on a fly rod that he had made. It turned out very well, especially if you are not doing really big designs. Good luck on it. Post it when you get it done. I'd love to see it.[/quote]
Hi Paul here do you have a picture on what
It looks like

kerry hansen

Postby kerry hansen » Tue May 24, 2016 2:38 am

My second loom was made with flea combs. Milled slots in a thin piece of aluminum at the right angles.

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”