Installing decales

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Birger Lerdal

Installing decales

Postby Birger Lerdal » Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:33 pm

I want to place a decal on a rod handle. What is the best way to do it. I was thinking of carving out a 1 inch area and installing the decals and placing epoxy over it. These are 1 inch football decals.
I was also wanting to place decals when marbling, I though I would do the marbling and after drying place the decals over the marbling and apply another 1 or 2 coats of epoxy over the decals. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

kerry hansen

Re: Installing decales

Postby kerry hansen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:00 am

As far as the decal in the grip, here is what I would do. After I cut away the material in the grip, I would pour a thin layer in the recess to provide a smooth surface. after the decal is down I would use some CP, in case the epoxy might lift the decal. When you put that first layer of epoxy, watch for small bubbles that may form around the perimeter at the bottom. One more thing to consider if you need to paint the bottom to help your decal to show up/stand out. i have put items in the grip, but no decals. Also you might find the epoxy wants the shrink just a little so you may need to "top off" after the fill has hardened to provide more of a rounded top to match the grip instead of a flat recess. My.02

Birger Lerdal

Postby Birger Lerdal » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:12 pm

Thanks, sound good, i will give it a try on a sample. Again thx for ur help.

kerry hansen

Postby kerry hansen » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:05 pm

Let us know how it worked for you installing decal.
Thanks
Kerry

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”