Installing Reel Seats

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

Richard Simmons

Installing Reel Seats

Postby Richard Simmons » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:42 pm

I am not completely new to this question but would like some advice and tips on how to mount or install reel seats. I mostly use Fugi graphite reel seats either size 16 or 17mm. I have used medical tape it is white in color, graphite arbors, and fiberglass drywall tape. Most of the rods I have built I have used the medical tape. The drywall tape does not adhear to itself very well and needs some masking tape to secure the end of the tape to itself. The graphite arbors when reamed do not have much thickness. I have not had any failures at this point. My question is what do you think is the best method to mount reel seats? Thank you very much. Richard Simmons

kerry hansen

Re: Installing Reel Seats

Postby kerry hansen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:17 pm

From what you say, you are not using the fiberglass drywall tape correctly. you first wrap the tape on to get a close fit for the seat. once you have all the tape arbors you need, first unwrap the first tape arbor that the seat will cover down to 2 or three wraps (so the tape will continue to grip blank. Now smear some rod bond on the tape and start wrapping the tape back on. The epoxy will go down to touch the blank as well as ooze up thru the drywall tape. continue wrapping until that tape arbor is finished or you run out of epoxy oozing up in which case you add some more and continue wrapping. I cut the end of the tape at a 45 degree angle with the short side nearest the seat. Now twisting the seat in the direction the tape is wrapped slowly push on the seat until you get about 1/2" (you judge) from the next arbor and unwind it and repeat the process until you are up against the grip. You now have a continuous epoxy path from blank to seat for a secure bond and a path for vibrations to go up from blank to seat. I would also recomend you get some teflon plumbers tape to wrap on ends of the seat and grips to help with cleanup.

William Burkett

Re: Installing Reel Seats

Postby William Burkett » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:23 am

I pretty much just make masking tape arbors, as it's fast and simple. They have worked well for me and I've had zero failures. It is important to insure that the arbors are completely incapsulated in epoxy to prevent water entry, as the tape is basically just sticky paper.

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”