Texas Gathering?

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

gary kachelmeier

Texas Gathering?

Postby gary kachelmeier » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Now with a new board can we get a reminder of when and where the Texas gathering will be. Is there a contact person?

Thanks

Pat Helton

Re: Texas Gathering?

Postby Pat Helton » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:42 pm

The Texas Custom Rod and Tackle Show will be April 19th and 20th at the Jimmy Burke Activity Center in Deer park, Texas. We hope to see a bunch of Guild members there. Anyone needing more info can contact me at patfatdaddy@gmail.com
Pat

Chris Ward

Postby Chris Ward » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:52 am

Ok Pat, please can you post more info.
Where is the nearest International Airport to the venue? Distance? Is public transport available? What is the deal with hotels? How near the coast is Deer Park? If, and it is a big 'IF' when looking at flight costs, I make it over from the UK what other facilities are there in the area for a short vacation? How is the weather in April? How good is the fishing in April - salt or freshwater?

gary kachelmeier

Postby gary kachelmeier » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:22 pm

Thanks Pat, Along with all the questions Chris came up with - How about a notice on the Guilds home page.

Gary

Pat Helton

Postby Pat Helton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:25 pm

Deer park is just across the causeway from Galveston. There are 50 or 60 hotels along the seawall and at least that many restaraunts. There is a theme park out over the water called Pleasure Pier. There are a couple of pirs and several rock groins that are good places to fish from of course there is the beach. We have some guides that are going to be at the show that can probably be available for a fishing trip. The weather is pretty mild with cool nights (60 degrees or so) and days from 60 to 75 degrees. There are a couple of museums, Moody Gardens which is an aquarium and indoor gardens, The Strand which is shopping and an 1800's style opra house. Deer Park is only about 20 minutes from Kemah Boardwalk. Restaraunts, shopping, carnival rides and a monster boat ride. Of course Houston is 30 or 35 minutes away with all sorts of entertainment.
There are some great resaraunts in Deer park. The Hampton Hotel is about a mile from the Activity center and I think the Holiday Inn is beside the Hampton and I think we have a deal with both for a show discount. I will get with the person doing the floor plan and booking the booths and see who all has committed so far. I know that Batson, Shoal Patrol Custom Rods and Tackle, Phenix Rods, a custom cast net maker, a couple of fishing guides, a tackle retailer, Wounded warriors Project, Shriner's Children's Hospital and Rods For Soldiers are going to be there. I know there are more and I will post that info as soon as I find out. Oh yeah we have a Kayak company too.
Pat

Pat Helton

Postby Pat Helton » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:10 pm

I forgot to mention that Houston Hobby airport is the closest to Deer Park. It is about 20 miles away. Houston Intercontinnental is about 50 miles away. Basicly there is no public transportation except for in the city of Galveston and the city of Houston.
Pat

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”