need of rod

Discussion of Custom Rod Building and Rod Building Activities.

Moderator: Harold T Durham

paul vonderwall

need of rod

Postby paul vonderwall » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:57 pm

hi gang i need some help i have friend who has a problem 12 yrs old son his both hands are crippled and cant open his hands but the only way he can is with right hand he got use it to open the thumb away from his pointer finger and rod sits in it then ect.does any one have any ideas on how this can be done please sorry about the spelling

Kris Kristufek

Re: need of rod

Postby Kris Kristufek » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Paul, I have built a few rods for very handicaped people. It is not easy. We must think out of the box, beyond the normal to be able to make a rod work for them. It takes some trial and error, but in the end when you both strike on the right thing, the reward is beyond explanation. Hooks, velcro and other materials become a normal to make this equipment work for them...

kerry hansen

Postby kerry hansen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Well, if he can't grip with his hands, then the support hand/arm could possibly hold the rod by having some sort of padded rigid tube that snugly fits his arm and either has a fitting that clips to the grip/seat, or is permantly made a part of the rod. For the reel he could have a device on his reeling hand/arm that will temporarily attach to the reel handle to reel.

Chris Ward

Postby Chris Ward » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:52 pm

Paul,
I agree with Kris, do not think of a normal fishing rod at the grip end. Assuming he is just using a spinning rod (this can work for all but fly rods). Use the more able hand to work the reel. Look at how a butt pad works for the big games guys and make something slightly smaller for your angler, now put a guide on the top of the rod at the right distance above the grip for a lanyard to hook up the rod (you'll need to experiment with this) the rod is basically in place. (Lanyard - look how a saxophone player uses a cord round their neck to support the instrument), the less able hand/arm can steady the rod whilst the good hand turns the reel handle. If there is good body movement casting can be achieved with a side rotation of the body or 'swing'. Your young angler should have a lot of fun when you have built his new rod. Good luck and enjoy. Roddocotor

Return to “Custom Rod Building Forum”